Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:52:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial Keyboards

On 24-Mar-98 Warner Losh wrote:

..

> Yup.  I want to present the same interface to the kernel that the
> current PC keyboard interface so it would work with things like X as
> well (this may require a lot of translation on my part, which is
> cool).  There is also a cool chording keyboard that I'd like to give a
> go at running as my system keyboard, but that one is also a RS-232
> device....

I think modifying getty to split stdin from std{out,err} is easy.  Once
this is done, the rest will follow.  Maybe getty already knows how to do
that, or the BSD equivalent of inittab (/etc/ttys?)

Console is not a problem, unless you want to re-direct the input.
If you go for serial console, you will be sending the output there too.
Again, the kernel may be smark enough to split the two.

>: Why would anyone want that, is a good question.  A NEW PC KB is $15.
>
> It is a laptop machine that doesn't have a keyboard port. I have a
> small, light weight serial (aka RS323) keyboard (from a newton) that
> I'd like to connect to its serial port.  I do ahve a port replicator
> which has a keyboard interface, but that is too bulky and fragile to
> carry with me.

Never underestimate the real use (when compared to design goals).
This is all quite doable.  Some code hacking may be needed, but you have
the sources :-)