Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:02:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      S K I N N E R <skinner@skinner.org>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redhat Certified Engineer

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Bill Fumerola wrote:

:)All of these are big reasons why courses are so high now-a-days.
:)
:)I understand that Cisco Certified people have to go to one of three places
:)in the country to finish their lab requirement, and that's just speaks to
:)how hard it is to coordinate such an effort.
:)
:)In other words: For this to work, we would have to have standardized tests
:)and corporate support, as well as a network of (qualified!) instructors.
:)

The cisco cert CCIE is as you state with the lab and is very
hard and requires a more skilled person to pass.. There are
also other levels, such as the CCNA which is lower but still
valuable and is based on the 608 exam.

Sun cert is just a basic multiple choice exam and isnt that
diffucult for your more inapt users. It is offerd at many
places over the us. I think, as I have not seen, Red Hat
would be doing the same as Sun has done.

Granted it is not the most affective way of weeding out
professionals vs non-prof users. But it does help some and
it also show that the person is more "serious" about thier
efforst put into the use of the os.

The major effort would be in the creation of the exam
methods and the levels of the exams (as you stated admin,
security) However the need to create "course" material is
only nessary if you want to teach the class's. You can still
have the certification and just allow the people to train
and learn on thier own. Which in a way weeds out the people
who just took the class's to know how to pass the os exam.
(like some mcse's out there.)