Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:23:28 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arp and async problems

Nate Williams writes:

> > i) with whatever recently changed in the arp code, I now get a stream of
> > error messages every 30 seconds when gated wants to advertise routes.

> > Each one relates to an alias on the same ethernet card, e.g. ..

> I don't think the arp changes Bill did could cause this, since it only
> affect host routes, which alias aren't.

The only other relevant info is:

i) it runs an Etherlink III (stock -stable driver as of 2 hours ago, no
added patches)

ii) the errors do not occur with 2.1-release (to which I've now reverted),

iii) the aliases are added in /etc/netstart immediately after the initial
ifconfig with ..

ifconfig ep0 inet 202.12.127.<pick-a-number> alias netmask 255.255.255.255

 .. none of them fall within the primary network's subnet (i.e. it primary
address is .70, it has aliases from 225 through 238 of which only the first
six are accessible to the outside world).

iv) attempts at installing a proxy arp ("arp -s <address> <ether> pub") fails
with "not an 802 interface" or something similar. Leaving off the "pub"
yields something like "cannot set arp for <address>"),

	michael