Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:33:04 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-inside CDE segfaulting all over the place

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Well, using null and union mounts we could hold the packages anywhere we
> > wanted...
> >
> > And they would not even notice.
>
> Yes they would - their systems would be crashing constantly due to the
> fact that neither null or union mounts currently work worth a
> damn. :-)

Well...

1) Union mounts don't work - at least for me it worked like an null mount.
But it kind of worked. There were no panicks due to access of the
directories union-mounted. Trying to unmount it caused a panick, though

2) Null mounts "almost" work - I nullmounted my src subdirectory on
/usr/src and tried make world on it. The result - it got going fairly
well, but at some moment paniced and ate my /sbin.

> Seriously, there are a LOT of cool things we could do with a working
> unionfs (like make /usr/obj go away and/or change significantly) but

Have a real read-only root partition with /etc null-mounted from somewhere
else (/var/etc ?) from rc?

> after more than 2 years, I'm hardly going to hold my breath for it.
> Too many things need to happen first, like the Lite2 merge, and we
> haven't got enough people working on that right now to make quick
> progress.

Got to try to join in... (well - if anyone still takes me serious after
that whats written up there :-)

	Sander

Doing everything fs we may someday be...