Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:09:36 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Luis Motta <luiscpmotta@terra.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports! my surprise

Luis Motta wrote:

>Hello!!
>I put here in my home, cable modem conection, and then i be able to connect
>in internet.
>And download and instaling some ports...
>For my surprise the ports for some software are very old...
>Like nessus...
>What is the problem?
>
>I ask
>
>Luis

Your ports tree is probably out of date.
www.nessus.org reports, "The latest stable
release is 2.0.10"...

My ports tree was updated on February
28th:

$more /usr/ports/security/nessus/Makefile | grep PORTVERSION=
PORTVERSION=    2.0.10a

So you can see that the tree is actually "even"
with the master site's version information.

You probably need to update your ports tree.

You probably should investigate cvsup, which
is described in chapter 21 in reference to FreeBSD
source code; by using cvsup in combination with
a "ports-supfile" (see /usr/share/examples/cvsup/)
you can update your ports tree and have newer
skeletons.  You can read about "portupgrade" in
the handbook, section 4.5.5; it's useful for updating
old ports that are already installed.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.