Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:56:36 +0200
From:      Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
To:        Matt Juszczak <matt@atopia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accidental fdisk -BI

Matt Juszczak wrote:
> I accidently did an accidental fdisk -BI on /dev/da0, which is where my
> main freebsd root is.  I meant to do it on da1 but my twiddle fingers
> typed 0 instead of 1.  I rebooted the box thinking I'd have to reinstall
> (luckily my user data is on a different drive), but the box came back up
> fine ... I was shocked.
>
> Can I continue to use it?  Did I just not mess anything up some how?  Or
> have I messed something up secretly and even though the box runs fine a
> reinstall should still occur?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Matt
Greetings!

What you just did was zero out the bootcode portion of the MBR (which is
fine if you don't multiboot) and initialize the partition table of the
MBR to read just one FreeBSD slice covering the entire disk (also fine
if you only had one FreeBSD partition there to begin with).

What this means is that any other slices you had on the disk will be
gone. I don't know what disk layout you had, but something tells me that
you may have erased /usr, /var and /tmp (if you used the default fdisk
layout when installing FreeBSD, that is). I'm no expert, but I think
this _can_ lead to complications.

--
Henrik W Lund