Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:42:21 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building kernel on minimal system

Thanks to all those that offered suggestions - I had overlooked the
obvious solution of just installing the source on another machine and
NFS mounting the filesystem across.

However, now I have a different problem.  I've built a stripped down
kernel (from GENERIC), and now it crashes when it boots.  (This is on
3.2-RELEASE.)

Basically, the bootstrap loader loads the kernel, and when I get the
"hit [Enter] to boot" prompt, it crashes with a register dump and
halts.  If I try and do a boot -c, it does the same thing.  I've
compared my kernel with the LINT kernel, and I don't think I've
removed anything that is necessary.  I've attached a copy of it below.

<KERNEL>
machine  "i386"
cpu  "I486_CPU"
ident  "STYX.19990706.01"
maxusers 10

options  MATH_EMULATE  #Support for x87 emulation
options  INET   #InterNETworking
options  FFS   #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options  FFS_ROOT  #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options  MFS   #Memory Filesystem
options  MFS_ROOT  #MFS usable as root device, "MFS" req'ed
options  NFS   #Network Filesystem
options  NFS_ROOT  #NFS usable as root device, "NFS" req'ed
options  NFS_NOSERVER  #Disable NFS server code
options  PROCFS   #Process filesystem

options  "COMPAT_43"  #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options  SCSI_DELAY=15000 #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options  UCONSOLE  #Allow users to grab the console
options  FAILSAFE  #Be conservative
options  USERCONFIG  #boot -c editor
options  VISUAL_USERCONFIG #visual boot -c editor

config  kernel root on wd0
controller isa0

controller fdc0 at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
disk  fd0 at fdc0 drive 0
disk  fd1 at fdc0 drive 1
controller wdc0 at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
disk  wd0 at wdc0 drive 0
options  ATAPI  #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options  ATAPI_STATIC #Don't do it as an LKM

controller atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD tty
device  atkbd0 at isa? tty irq 1
device  psm0 at isa? tty irq 12
device  sc0 at isa? tty
device  vga0 at isa? port ? conflicts
device  npx0 at isa? port IO_NPX irq 13
device  sio0 at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4
device  sio1 at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3

device  ppc0 at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7
controller ppbus0
device  lpt0 at ppbus?
device  plip0 at ppbus?
device  ppi0 at ppbus?

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 5 iomem 0xd0000
device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 11 iomem 0xd8000

pseudo-device loop
pseudo-device ether
pseudo-device sl 1
pseudo-device ppp 1
pseudo-device tun 1
pseudo-device bpfilter 4

options  IPDIVERT
options  IPFIREWALL
pseudo-device pty 16
pseudo-device gzip  # Exec gzipped a.out's
options  SYSVSHM
options  SYSVMSG
options  SYSVSEM

--
Matthew Emmerton      || http://www.gsicomp.on.ca
GSI Computer Services || P: +1 (800) 217-5409 (Canada)