Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:44:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        richard@planet-richard.com (Richard Beyer)
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions List' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: backup

> We're currently doing a back up of a FreeBSD 4.9 (2) server by plugging a
> USB external drive in and then doing
>
> cp /dev/ad0 /dev/da0
>
> This takes about 30 hours, (USB 1).
>
> Is this the best way to do it, or can someone suggest a better way.  We'd
> rather not have the server offline while we do it.

I would suggest using dump (and restore if you need something recovered)
if you can because cp may not preserve everything appropriately.

or dump | restore if you are trying to build the file system on to
the other disk.

I wonder also about your choice of devices, but I don't know how you
created them or mounted them.   Actually, I would use their mount names
rather than devices anyway.  Or am I missing something here?

Using dump[/restore] won't speed anything up, but it would make sure
it is usable later.

////jerry