Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:56:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Steve Baxter <steve@pipenetworks.com>
To:        <vtun-users-admin@lists.sourceforge.net>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD, netgraph, vtun, bridging and other tall tales

[apologies, I cross posted this to the freebsd networking list as well]

Hello,

I am using vtun for bridging Ethernet using FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE, vtun2.4
as distributed in the FreeBSD ports.

I am presently using the software along with the script supplied with
Netgrpaph in FreeBSD - /usr/share/examples/netgraph/ether.bridge

              IP NETWORK
             _-----------_
            /             \
           /               \_
          /                  \
         /                    \
 +-----------+            +-----------+
 | VTUN BOX 1|            | VTUN BOX 2|
 +-----------+            +-----------+
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
  LAN                            |
                                LAN

I run a vtun tunnel between box 1 and box two and it works very very well
:-). Each box has two ethernet cards, one for the IP network and one for
the LAN. Each box has a single bridge set up that bridges the tap device
and the LAN facing Ethernet card.

What I was wondering is it possible to do the following :

                                         |LAN

                                   +-----------+
                              ____/| VTUN BOX 3|
                       ______/     +-----------+
                  ____/
              IP NETWORK
             _-----------_
            /             \
           /               \_
          /                  \
         /                    \
 +-----------+            +-----------+
 | VTUN BOX 1|            | VTUN BOX 2|
 +-----------+            +-----------+
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
   |                             |
  LAN                            |
                                LAN

We want to be able to bridge in box 3 three to vtun box 2.

Has anybody tried this where on vtun box 2 we would have to have a second
netgraph bridge that shared a physical interface with another netgraph
bridge ?

1st netgraph bridge:
====================

tap0 rl0

2nd netgraph bridge:
===================

tap1 rl0

Will this produce any issues with netgraph or vtun that anybody is aware
of ?

--
Stephen Baxter
Director - PIPE Networks

______________________________________
This e-mail is intended for its recipients only. If this e-mail has
been sent to you in error, please delete it and notify the sender by
reply e-mail. The information contained in this message and/or its
attachments may be confidential. Please do not read, save, forward,
disclose, or copy the contents of this email.

Any views expressed in this Communication are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views
of PIPE Networks/IX Services Australia Pty Ltd.

Except as required at law, PIPE Networks/IX Services Australia Pty Ltd
does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of
errors, virus, interception or inference.

If any quotations for work are included in this email then unless
otherwsie stated the prices do not include GST, the quotation is
only valid for 30 days unless otherwise stated, Megabyte means
1,000,000 bytes, 1 kilobyte means 1,000 bytes and kilobit means
1,000 bits.