Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:56:19 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, rotel@indigo.ie, Sean Harding <sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost root shell

On Apr 14, 10:30am, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Mon, 13 April 1998 at 16:38:46 +0000, Niall Smart wrote:
> > I don't care how important the problem is for you, whether root's
> > shell is missing, the hard disk is on fire, or the president can't
> > send email -- if you expect me to read the list to answer questions,
> > I expect you to read the list for replies -- no exceptions.
>
> The "official" standpoint is different.  We do want people to be able
> to send messages to the list without be subscribed.  That's why I
> recommend answering to the sender as well as to the list.

Well, I don't agree with this standpoint, but I'll agree to disagree :)
I just don't respond to questions asked by someone who is either
too stupid or disrespectful to take into consideration that I'm
doing him a favour by answering.  (And no, this isn't some fundamental
need for need in my pscyhe, its just an expectation of common courtesy)

There are other sound reasons for keeping the discussions on the list,
such as keeping the Q&A's archived.

> You might benefit by reading http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.  I
> send it out every Friday, so you should already have seen it.

Heh, whats the point of sending this to the list if you don't expect
those asking questions to be subscribed?  This is the first list
I've seen that regularly posts guidelines for the people *answering*
the questions.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.  Microsoft Suck.  See www.freebsd.org for details.
echo "#define if(x) if(!(x))" >> /usr/include/stdio.h