Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:52:35 -0400
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Subject:   Re: Clockwork 24 hour crash in 4.5-RELEASE-p5

> Back in January the fan of my server stopped working, and my computer
> exhibited that same behaviour, e.g. a kernel panic ever 24 hours or so,
> then the box would reboot and keep working until next day. Have you
> checked for a possible hardware issue?

Been talking to Oliver about this same (exactly) problem on one of my
boxes...  I sent him some debug kernel crash info - he just asked for my OK
to forward it to the list - should be here soon.  (If not, I'll dig it up
and send it in.)

I haven't dug into it much yet, but it appears (from some quick gdb "print"
commands) that it's blowing up during an ioctl dealing with the lo0 loopback
device.  I don't know all that much about how FBSD stores network device
structures, so I'm not quite sure what I'm staring at, but it looks like
there's some sort of linked list that it's traversing through that gets an
invalid pointer...

(Oh, and to answer your question, yea - fans are OK, replaced the RAM, etc.
The machine was quite stable (up for 60+ days) before I cvsup'd back in
March - since then, daily ka-booms, sorta.  It was crashing daily for almost
a month (Mar-Apr), then the thing had a power failure.  When the power came
back on, the machine was stable again until another power failure in mid-May
- since then, it's crashing daily again.  Figure THAT one out...! :)

--mike