Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:40:49 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Jake <jake@int.checker.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quake

> Is there anyway to get sound?  I;m running 3.0-current
> and I have luigi's sound driver. I have an old SB16 sound card.
You need to either a) rewrite your sound driver so it supports mmap()able DMA
buffers, or b) buy a GUS, or AWE sound card (I think the drivers support
mmap()able DMA for those cards - GUS definatly works)

> xf86quake seems better since its supposed to be full screen,
> however, I get this error, even in 640x480x8bit color
> anything I can do?
Hmm, this is weird - I got it to work in 800x600x16bit - slowly tho =)
(Also AFAIK xf86quake is only 1.01 - not compatible net-wise with much else)

> is there a 320x240 mode supported by XF86331?
> I have a STB lightspeed 128, using the SVGA server.
I tried to do this, but my monitor(ancient multisync)/video card(S3) didn't
like it :-/

> Finally, it seems like squake would be the best,
> but I get another error:
> Feb 10 00:32:05 whatever /kernel: Linux-emul(226): ioperm() not
> supported
> Feb 10 00:32:05 whatever /kernel: pid 226 (squake), uid 0: exited on
> signal 10 (core dumped)
Yeah, me too.. You need the hacked up SVGA lib Amancio worked on - ftp://
rah.star-gate.com/pub/svgalib-foo.tar.gz - AFAIK it won't work tho :) I think
its a yechsome hack to get 3DFx cards working, so lots of it doesn't work :(

> Nevertheless, I'm pretty impressed
> at 320x240 I get about 4 fps higher than win95 or NT,
> I have a K5-133, TX motherboard, 32 megs SDRAM, 138 megs swap, etc...
Thank your 32 bit OS =)
I still wish SVGAlib worked.. Oh well - time to do some hacking ;)

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |