Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:19:55 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Carles_G=F3mez?= <carlesgo@mat.upc.es>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:15:50AM +0100, Carles Gómez wrote:
> 	I have the following problem: I would like to use tcpdump on my FreeBSD
> 3.2 release. When I type the shell command "tcpdump", the following
> message appears:
>
> 	tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured
>
> 	I have looked at the tcpdump man page, and it talks about the fact that
> I must have read access on /dev/bpf0 in order to work properly with
> tcpdump.
>
> 	How can I do this?

Recompile your kernel with bpf-support (grep in LINT for it and
copy that line into your normal kernel-config-file). See the handbook
on how to recompile kernels if you're not familair with it. After
that, go to /dev and do ./MAKEDEV bpf (or something similair) and
you're in!

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/