Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 13:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Pingle <pingjj01@holmes.ipfw.edu>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1370) pcm driver problem

It worked like a charm, I didn't even think to reset that. It seemed like
I had tinkered with just about everything except the BIOS settings.

Thanks for the quick response, the help is much appreciated.

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Bill Paul wrote:

> > device          pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
> >
> > Upon bootup, I get the following message:
> >
> > es1: <AudioPCI ES1370> rev 0x00 int a irq 10 on pci0.15.0
> > pcm1: unable to map any ports
>
> Reboot your machine and go into the BIOS configuration. Look around
> (maybe under the 'advanced' section) for a setting that say something
> like 'Plug and Play OS.' The setting usually has two choices: 'yes'
> or 'no.' If it says 'yes' then that's your problem. FreeBSD is not
> a Plug and Play OS, in the sense that it can't assign PCI device
> resources (I/O addresses, IRQs) itself: the PCI BIOS has to set up
> the devices first, then FreeBSD reads the configuration info and
> deals with it accordingly. I'll bet a quarter that when you bought
> your system, it came with either Lose95 or Lose98 pre-installed,
> and you never checked the BIOS settings when you installed FreeBSD.
>
> Anyway, change the BIOS 'Plug and Play OS' setting to 'no' and then
> reboot the system.
>
> -Bill

 - Jim Pingle
   jim@pingle.org * pingjj01@holmes.ipfw.edu

p.s. - I kept the list in cc: so it would be left in the archives as a
working solution for anyone who might get this error in the future.