Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 01:35:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: silo overflows

As James Leppek wrote:

> The floppy is not on the adaptec, only a little used drive and an
> exabyte tape drive for backups (which were not being dome).

> > Adaptec's 154X controllers are the most `famous' bus hogs.  They do
> > also cause all sort of troubles with floppy DMA operations ...

Actually, it's totally unimportant whether you're using Adaptec's
floppy controller or not.  The problem is that the AHA-154X SCSI(!)
controllers tend to hog the bus for too long, and an HD floppy
controller needs to be serviced once each 16 µs.  If this time
expires, the FDC will abort the operation on the currently transferred
sector.

One could easily argue that the current fd driver handles this condit-
ion very ungracefully (wasting a whole revolution to retransfer the
sector in question), but i've got more important things on the plate
regarding the floppy controller than improving support for braindead
Adaptecs.  (Once i've been replacing my Adaptec by an Bt 742A, the
problem magically disappeared.)

(No offense intended.  Apologies to everybody who's thinking this
would sound too rude. :)

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/