Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:07:27 -0500
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        "W. Reilly Cooley" <wcooley@nakedape.navi.net>, Anthony Capone <capone@cap1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Based Script

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 10:12:41PM -0800, W. Reilly Cooley wrote:
> I've considered a web-based interface for users to modify their
> configurations (mail forwarding, etc), but giving users access using their
> UNIX passwords through a web interface is a /big/ security hole.  See
> http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#passwdauth for an explanation.
> This might be reasonable, if, for example, you only permit access from
> within your net block.  But even then it's sketchy...

Does it have to be Web based?  We have a mail based one -- the user
sends a message to support with the subject of HOURS, and procmail
kicks of a perl script that mails them the information back.  Seems to
work well, and the nice thing about it is a user can only check their
hours, and it needs no authentication.  It checks the hours of the
account that sent the mail, and sends the results back to that
address, so even if someone forges the "from" header, they wont see
the result....

--Mark