Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:24:38 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Bror 'Count' Heinola" <count@key.sms.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Success! ...well, not really

Hi,

> 	I'm a proud owner of a Tyan Titan Pro S1668 ATX dual Ppro
> 	motherboard with two PPro 180MHz CPU's.
> 	The machine runs just fine with both kernels when the second
> 	cpu is disabled, however, when I enable the second CPU it
> 	works, but whenever I try to "make" something, it immediately
> 	bombs with a panic like this (btw, is there a way of saving a
> 	panic output in short of writing it down by hand?) :

> cpunumber = 0
> fault virtual address   = 0xfffbeff4
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf0176c13
> stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffe94
> frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffeb0
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type ox1b
>                         = dpl 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 190 (sh)
> interrupt mask          =
> trap number             = 12
> panic (cpu#0): page fault
> boot() called on cpu#0
>  io0 (APIC): apic id: 2, version: 0x00170011
> Enabled INTs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 16, imen: 0x00feea21
> SMP: All idle procs online.
> SMP: Starting 1st AP!
> SMP: AP CPU #1 LAUNCHED!!  Starting Scheduling...
> SMP: TADA! CPU #1 made it into the scheduler!.
> SMP: All 2 CPU's are online!
> options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
> options         NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
> options         NBUS=2                  # number of busses
> options         NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
> options         NINTR=24                # number of INTs

this is a known problem with the P6 machines.  add:

options           SMP_INVLTLB

and see if it helps (probably wont, but we need the feedback)

The solution is rather complex, we're discussing an attack at the moment...
Follow the discussion on "TLB shootdowns" for details.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD