Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:42:21 +1100
From:      Jasper Bedwell <starbase527@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD 8.1 on MacBook 5,1

Hi,

I've been trying to dual-boot FreeBSD 8.1 with Mac OS X on my MacBook (5,1) f=
or some time now, but am having trouble trying to get the live cd to boot.

I reach the FreeBSD Boot Loader Screen with the options for boot, boot witho=
ut ACPI etc.

However, I cannot select an option. I have tried with both the built in keyb=
oard and a USB keyboard, but I do not think that that is the problem...

Previously I have tried dual booting Ubuntu, but had problems with the live C=
D also. During the boot process, the boot seemed to freeze, and the CD stopp=
ed spinning. I think it might be a similiar problem here. Soon after arrivin=
g at this screen, the CD stops spinning.

Thanks for any advice!

BTW. I'm using the amd64 disc1 iso image

=3D=3D Further Boot Info =3D=3D

When booting, Mac's EFI allows me to choose to boot from the CD. The screen g=
oes black, then the following appears:

CD Loader 1.2
Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER ... Found
Relocating the loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX Loader

BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.0.2
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS CD is cd0
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS 639kB/1047552kB available memory

/boot/kernel/kernel text=3D0x8d5503 data=3D0x129bf8+039f8 syms=3D[0x8 + 0xdd=
bf8 + 0x8 + 0xca37e]
It then continues to the FreeBSD Boot Loader Screen, and freezes

I have also posted this question on the FreeBSD forums, but after a month th=
ere has still been no answer. The same can be said for two other sites I pos=
ted the question on: super user & the Unix and Linux Stackexchange.

Sent from my iPod=