Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Douglas Jackson <doug@carbine.holster.placo.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        pgsql-novice@postgreSQL.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL query has permission denied error

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Jim Freeze wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 3.1 and netscape on a standalone system.
> I have the ports install of apache, php3 and postgreSQL installed.
>
> In case it helps, the following is an excerpt of my passwd file.
>
> nobody:*:65534:65534:Unprivileged user:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

If your apache webserver is executing your PHP scripts as user "nobody",
then you need to tell you pgsql database that "nobody" is allowed to
access the database.

To do this, use the "createuser" command from the shell.  Do this as user
postgres.

Then once "nobody" can connect to the database, he'll also need
individual privileges on the tables, so he can "select" from them.

Use the "grant" sql command to do this.

Doug

--
Douglas Jackson