Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 1996 01:49:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Ernie Elu" <ernie@spooky.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating /stand

/stand is *only* populated by the installation tools and it's very
likely that this will not change.  Sorry, but the contents of that
directory are very specialized and I just don't see the gain in trying
to build it along with the rest of the system.  At some point, I'm
sort of hoping that /stand will go away and be replaced by something
much better for rescuing yourself.  Its current "rescue abilities" are
more accidental than deliberate, and many people simply ``rm -rf /stand''
after installation.

I know that sounds like something of a cop-out, but I'm afraid that's
the most accurate description of the current state of affairs that
I can give you.

					Jordan