Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:31:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, don@PartsNow.com, Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>, Jacques Hugo <jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mmx or ppro

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> When faced with this choice myself a couple of months ago, I chose the PPro
> at 166 MHz with 512k cache at about $325 over a cheaper 180 with 256k or
> more expensive 200 with only 256k. In addition to the larger L2 cache I got
> 66 MHz bus speed vs. 60 for the 150 or 180. Not rerribly interested in
> overclocking as I'd guess the PPro-166 is a -200 that failed the grade.

Every PPro150 I've had (5 so far) has been happy to run at 166 (though
admittedly with a smaller cache), and all but one would run solid at 180.
Since the official 166 comes off a different production line, I'm sure
that the 150's aren't tested at 166, so I've been running them all at 166.
In playing around with 180 vs 166, I noticed that probably due to the
on-chip L2 cache, external bus speed means a lot less to a PPro than it
does to a Pentium.

I've also noticed that for very small programs that fit in the L1 cache,
the PPro really doesn't run that much faster than a Pentium of similar
clock speed, but for larger tasks (kernel compiling, make world) the PPro
easily outpaces the Pentium.