Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 04:55:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ronald Kuehn <kuehn@rz.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size

In freebsd-current Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > I dont know If I'm one of the two, but it f*ks up here too, on ALL my
> > machines, except on my notebook which uses softupdates.
> > As has been stated before it has nothing to do with the machine being
> > loaded, on the contrary, here it dies when the machine is idle and
> > mail arrives or some such.
> > I recommend that it should be disabled NOW, instead of hosing our users,
> > its not "important" when it doesn't work...

> I was about the make the comment in my last posting that it almost
> always occurred on my system when disk and network activity were
> combined (such as updating my local CVS repository).  Wether the same
> process has to be causing both the network and disk activity to cause
> the failure, I'm not exactly sure.  I do remember someone else posting
> it happened while they were sending a backup to the machine over the
> network, and another person mentioned it also happened while doing cvsup
> activity over the network.  I think yet another mentioned it happened
> while copying a file between an NFS mount and a local filesystem.  In
> your case, a piece of mail arriving could cause network and disk
> activity simultaneously.  The network/disk activity does not have to be
> heavy in my case (only a 33k6 link).  Anyone else seeing the same
> pattern I am? :-)

> I don't think I mentioned before that all of my filesystems except two
> rarely used ones have softupdates enabled.  All of the activity occurred
> on softupdates filesystems.  AFAIK no data was corrupted and fsck had a
> pretty easy time cleaning things up.

I had such a panic today too during cvsup activity. Two filesystems
don't have softupdates. All others do. The activity was on one
of those softupdates filesystems.

dev=0x20404, bno = 13, bsize = 8192, size = 8192, fs = /var
panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size

The /var filesystem does not have soft updates enabled.
I got a dump, but not from a debugging kernel.

[ current as of Dec 2 ]

Bye,
   Ronald
--
* The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.