Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:38:51 -0400
From:      "Frank Griffith" <frank@dfw.dynip.com>
To:        "Bruce R. Montague" <brucem@mail.cruzio.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD Boot halts with init error

Bruce,

Thanks for your reply. There must be some other issue going on. I
tried a brand new floppy diskette and did simply a generic build.
That is I did not customize or tweak and of the files in the ./net
directory.

This time the system running FreeBSD-4.6.2 it crashed before it
finished compiling the kernel. But on another system running
FreeBSD-4.6 it built the diskette without a problem. I then tried
to boot the 4.6.2 machine with this floppy and here is what I got.
These are the last few lines on the monitor when it crashes:
.
ad0: 4103 MB <ST34321A> [8894/15/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ad0: 3079 MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE3.2A> [6256/16/63] at ata1-slave UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <COMPAQ CRD-256P> at ata1-master PIO2
Mounting root from ufs: /dev/md0c
init died (signal 0, exit 1)
panic Going nowhere without my init
.

I'm concerned about the line that references /dev/md0c,
shouldn't it be  /dev/fd0

I can reboot the same machine to FreeBSD 4.6.2 and it runs like
a champ. And this same system will run Freesco and Gnatbox
without a glitch. I'm going to keep hacking at it. If you have any
suggestions, please feel free to reply. Thanks again.