Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 09:10:08 +1200
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "Jordan Hubbard" <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, <mrlist@noid.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <alfred@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: panic: pipeinit: cannot allocate pipe -- out of kvm -- code = 3

:: Well, I can certainly tell you that unless you have 4GB of RAM in
:: this box, setting maxusers to 1024 is massive overkill and I'm
:: not at all surprised you're having problems.

I was wondering about that setting... if I read the kernel config doco, it
says that the maxusers settingallow (20+16)*maxusers processes. So, with
maxusers=1024, there'd be "room" for 32,768 simultaneous processes.

Does maxusers pre-allocate resources in some way? Are there metrics on this?

-- Juha