Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2020 11:29:56 -0500
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        Moritz Schmitt <moritz@schmi.tt>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding different port counts

> On Nov 12, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Moritz Schmitt <moritz@schmi.tt> wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I noticed a big difference between the number of ports on
> freebsd.org/ports/ and on freshports.org. Currently, it's 33348 vs.
> 41346.
>=20
> The freebsd.org's number equals roughly the number of lines of a =
current
> INDEX, but how does FreshPorts count?

Hello,

I'm glad you asked, because both sites are wrong.  I'm going to fix =
FreshPorts because it is including commits to ports on branches in that =
total. That's not right.

When ignoring branches, the FreshPorts count is 28,759

The FreeBSD total might be based on INDEX-12. In that count, each flavor =
counts as a port. Here is some data from that file:

* py27-atspi-2.38.0|/usr/ports/accessibility/py-atspi
* py37-atspi-2.38.0|/usr/ports/accessibility/py-atspi

FreshPorts treats that as one port, accessibility/py-atspi

If you remove the 'duplicates' from INDEX-12, the count is 28,759 which =
is much closer to what FreshPorts believes the count it.

It is also close to this count:

[dan@pkg01:~/ports/head] $ grep -h SUBDIR */Makefile | wc -l
   28756

I put more information than you wished to read in this blog post:

https://news.freshports.org/2020/11/18/how-many-ports-are-there/

Hope that helps.

=E2=80=94=20
Dan Langille