Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:58:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Michael A. Alderete" <alderete@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        alderete@be.com
Subject:   [HELP!] Crashing FreeBSD server with file system corruption

I have a FreeBSD-based web/ftp server that is crashing
regularly, and the crashes are causing (caused by)file
system corruption.

I'm suspecting (and hoping) that it's just a
configuration problem, or a known bug with an easy
workaround. I'd hate to learn that there was something
inherently wrong here!

Here are the details, hopefully someone will recognize
the issue:

* The server hardware is an Intel N440BX motherboard,
with two Intel Pentium III 450 processors. 256 megs of
RAM. Built-in graphics, and a PCI NE2000 Ethernet card
(the built-in EtherExpress interface wouldn't work for
me, another story, another time).

* The disk subsystem is a SCSI RAID controller from
DPT. It's a PCI card and has 4 drives attached,
configured in a RAID 5 with one drive as a hot
standby.

* FreeBSD is version 3.1-STABLE-05051999, with the
kernel recompiled for SMP support.

* The server worked fine for me as I was installing
and upgrading it, adding and compiling additional
software, uploading megabytes of data to the ftp
directories, etc.

* The server also had no difficulties when I sent out
a company-internal e-mail with a request to bang on
it. That's a load of about 30 users at any give time
(http only, though).

* We put it into production use as our main web server
on Wednesday night. It handled quite a high load as
people checked out the new site design.

* Thursday night was the first crash, we don't know
what caused it. The server rebooted, but fsck failed
on /home, and so it didn't come up automatically.
Manually running fsck fixed the errors, with a few
files recovered to lost+found.

* The next morning while examining the files in
lost+found, doing a cp of one of the files, the server
crashed again. This time it rebooted itself, found no
file system problems, and came up.

* Last night (Saturday at 5:30am, actually) it failed
again. This time there are file system errors on /usr
and /home. fsck fixed the problems on /usr and most of
them on /home, but now we're getting an error about a
bad sector. /home obviously refuses to mount.

Anything known about problems in FreeBSD-STABLE with
SMP configurations and RAID sub-systems? Or other
obvious (or subtle) problems?

Thanks much!

Michael
===