Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:20:02 -0400
From:      Tim <tms@psiklone.com>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: spontaneous (?) reboot

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Ben Williams wrote:
> I remotely administer a FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #0: Fri Mar 10 15:52:31
> EST 2000  machine that rebooted apparently without direct command or
> any faults I know to look for. There is nothing out of the ordinary in
> /var/log/messages prior to the reboot and I had set up custom
> logfiles of `vmstat -w 5` and `netstat -w 5`. The only thing logged out
> of the ordinary was to the netstat log which seems to end in a string
> of ASCII 1's ("^@").
>
> This is the second time in the past week this has happened. How can I
> go about finding the cause for these reboots? This is a
> gateway+sendmail box for a client so I need to get to the bottom of
> this ASAP.
>
> TIA,
> Ben Williams.

I had something similar happen with a 4.0 system recently. Nothing in the logs
and I hadn't changed anything except I added a new soundcard. I believe I was
having power fluctuations. I don't have a voltmeter so I couldn't check, but I
did catch the lights dimming in the same timeframe. I know you mentioned it's a
remote system but maybe you could get someone to add a UPS. I didn't have
enough cash for one but my problem seems to have cleared up(for now anyway).

Good Luck,

Tim S