Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:44:12 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4GB DRAM, Symbios 53C896

>Hi all,
>
>1) I have an Intel SC450NX with 2GB DRAM running (slightly hacked)
>   FreeBSD-3.0.  This has been very stable (> 50 days uptime).
>   I'm about to upgrade to 4GB DRAM, has anyone else tried this ?
>   And are there any known problems ?  Would I be better off
>   upgrading to 3.1 first ?

   Yes, and it won't work without some changes. Right now you'll need to move
to -current to get those changes, but there is a slight chance that they
will be brought into 3.x at some point. In any case, you'll need to
restrict the maximum amount of memory (MAXMEM) to 4GB-64MB (it works out to
the number 4128768) in order to for the system to not smash into the PCI
space during the memory probe.

>2) We're also planning to buy a second SC450NX.  Back in January
>   I couldn't install 3.0 using the onboard Symbios 53C896 scsi,
>   so had to get an Adaptec 2940UW card.  Looking at the release
>   notes for 3.1, it claims that the 53C896 is now supported -
>   but the list of driver changes doesn't mention any enhancement
>   in the ncr driver.  So is it now possible to install 3.1
>   using the 53C896 scsi, or do I still need an Adaptec card ?

   It still doesn't work, so yes, you'll need an Adaptec.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com