Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        brian@MediaCity.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device number for watchdog board driver

> > I have a device driver and support programs for the DVI Watchdog
> > Reset board.
> >
> > Shall we get it its own major device number?
> >
> > The driver and support program have a copyright FreeBSD core
> > members will probably be willing to co-habitat with.
>
> Contact Julian Elisher for documentation on the devfs device export
> interface.  Device numbers should no longer be assigned.
hmm a LITTLE premature...
I envision it will be a month or so until
I have the time to make devfs as solid as it need to be..
(terry, you might like to lookat the code.. and figure out
what needs to be done re: locking...It does nearly everything I want
it to do from MY perspective, but I haven't cone through it with a fine
toothed comb with an eye to correct handling of system resources yet..
in other words, it occasionally gets in a fight with some other module
about owning a vnode. )

If you are ready to submit this driver, then I can assign you a major number.
If you are just experimenting, use the 'local' number in the devsw table
till you are ready to submit it..

if you want me to assign you a number, then that basically
just requires that you send me the diffs you need to put into conf.c..
'assigning a number' basically consists of checking it into conf.c.