Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2010 22:20:28 +0000
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracing fatal error - how to

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 07:13:21PM +0000, David Southwell wrote:
> > I am getting a fatal error when trying to open a specific page.
> >
> > There are no errors in httpd-error.log or php_error.log.
> >
> > The server apache-2.2.17_1 is running.
> >
> > A php script calling  check.php with the following lines:
> >
> > <?PHP
> >
> >   phpInfo();
> >
> > ?>
> >
> > runs fine and does not show any errors.
> >
> > How can one show what is causing fatal errors?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for help
>
> If there are no errors in httpd-error.log, your PHP debugging log shows
> no errors, and the check.php script in question isn't returning any
> errors, then what *is* returning errors?  :-)

That is the question!!
> PHP fatal errors are usually software exceptions within the PHP script
> itself, or possibly the PHP interpreter (missing extension/function,
> etc.).  If PHP is built as an Apache module (and not as a CGI), then you
> should see these errors in your httpd-error.log unless you've adjusted
> certain things in php.ini.
What things?
Just got a questionable clue!

Just set up a new gallery for gallery3.

Seems to be having trouble accessing mysql. Given correct user/password
combination seems unable to use the database.

The page which is generating the fatal error definitely needs access to mysql.

Maybe this is something to do with mysql access?

Using php5-5.3.3_2

Any ideas?

David

Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network