Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:22:49 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, gibbs@freebsd.org, steve@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MFC of ahc driver updates

>I've recently been struggling with problems in r1.41.2.1 of
>src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c which is currently in RELENG_4 and has
>been since the branch.  This revision of the file is equivalent to r1.42
>in HEAD.  The revision in RELENG_4 incorrectly handles SCBs on some
>Adaptec 7892-based (29160) controllers.

In actuality, I'm not sure exactly what in the RELENG-4 driver is
causing problems with the 7892.  The driver in -current (before
today's commit) had several enhancements for U2 and U160 chips,
but did not contain any corrections for "SCB handling" as you
put it.

>I have experienced these problems firsthand and was able to solve them
>by installing a -current running r1.47 of aic7xxx.c.  This system is
>incredibly stable and I've been pounding it with bonnie and rawio over
>the past week and seen not a single SCSI error or panic.

Unfortunately, the changes that were made to increase performance on
the U2/U3 and even some older chips in current exposed some chip->chipset
interactions to which I had previously been unaware.  So, the driver
that works so well for you, will fail on some systems with onboard aic7880s
and just about any system with a 3940AUW, just to name the two most prominent
issues.  This was the main reason the driver in -current has not been
merged to -stable.

After more than a month of investigation, experimentation, and development,
I believe that the driver I committed to -current today will address the
issues with non U2/U3 chips.  Unfortunately, I don't have hardware to
test against of the problems I discovered through investigation of Adaptec's
system testing data.  So the question still remains as to whether the
driver in -current is stable enough to be merged back into -stable.

Don't get me wrong.  I want these issues to be resolved for -stable
and release users just as much as anyone else, but the only way to
do this safely and not wind up in a situation worse than we have now
is through expansive testing.  I'd be more than happy to make patches
available relative to -stable (sys/dev/aic7xxx/... can simply be copied
to a 4.X system and it should work with an added register define in
sys/pci/pcireg.h and some minor changes to sys/conf/files), but I
can only sanction the merge to stable if adequate testing occurrs.

--
Justin