Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 21:15:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric D. Fehr" <fehr@idirect.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NATD question (isn't NATing)

I've been strugling with getting NATD working on an ADSL connection for a
while now, and decided to seek the insight of others.  I can't get it to
translate the source address on outbound packets.

My FreeBSD 3.1 box (a nice, shinny new PIII-500) has two NICs installed,
one (vr0, curent IP 161.184.x.x) connected to a Cisco 675e for the ADSL
connection, and the other (fxp0, 10.0.0.1) connected to my internal
network.  The IP given for vr0 it attained using dhcpc, and has a lease
interval of 12 hours.

My rc.firewall config is:

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via fxp0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

I am launching natd with the following args to test it:

natd -interface vr0 -u -dynamic -v

On the local network (connected via fxp0), I have a win98 system
(10.0.0.2, gateway 10.0.0.1) with a ping running of a remote system
(207.136.80.19).

Here is the weird part:  The ping is registered as going out with an IP
source of 10.0.0.2.  It is never having the source address translated.
Here is a log from natd:

In [ICMP] 10.0.0.2 -> 207.136.80.19 aliased to
          10.0.0.2 -> 207.136.80.19

Running trafshow -n -i vr0 confirms this behavior:

From      To             Proto  Bytes  CPS
10.0.0.2  207.136.80.19  icmp   120    12

My question is:  what am I doing wrong?  I have tried force feeding natd
my vr0 ip address, with "natd -a 161.184.x.x -u -dynamic -v", but it has
the exact same results.  (The real IP has, of course, been concealed with
x's)

I'm lost...

Thanks for any help,
Eric