Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:00:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        DCMC Customer Liaison <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel:  Lost Configuration

On Wed, Sep 24, 1997 at 11:05:08PM -0400, DCMC Customer Liaison wrote:
>  OK, I guess I still don't know what's going on.  I had a working kernel
> with GENERIC.  Having made up a new kernel, the only things added were a
> PS/2 mouse and a sound card.  I made a new kernel without an error.
> However, when I finished with it, I had lost all my users and configuration
> files.  What happened?

Good question.  I can't see that it has anything to do with the kernel
build.

> I can't do a make world because I'm running a minimal configuration with a
> 326 Mb hard disk and there isn't room for all the sources.  Why did this
> happen and what do I do to correct/prevent it?

Again, I'm sure that it didn't happen because of the kernel build.  If
you can show *exactly* what happened between the build and the
discovery that you had lost your config files (which ones, for
example), it would maybe help.  But I'd suggest that you repeat it and
see if it happens again.

Greg