Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:20:07 -0500
From:      chris@tourneyland.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is my NIC card dead?

Now this is annoying . . .

A friend of mine brought his computer over, and plugged it into my network
here (taking the cable out of the back of my FreeBSD machine while it was
running, and plugging it into his). Now that computer can't ping out to
local machines or do anything. It's not the cable, since it still works in
my friend machine.

So here are my questions . . .

1) Is pulling the cable out of the card while it was running a risky
operation?
2) I just reinstalled FreeBSD on that computer, and though it was an FTP
install (so obviously the card worked then), I'm not sure I've tried to
anything with it since, so maybe there's a config problem. That doesn't
make much sense to me, but is it possible? And how could I make sure?
3) The network card is old, and if I replace it I'd be replacing it with a
different card. I've never configured any hardware with FreeBSD (I've just
let the install program do it). Is there anything special I have to do to
config it? (Actually never mind that question - I'm sure there's something
in the Handbook to cover it).

Thanks!
Chris