Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:43:45 -0500
From:      John Clark <jrclark@netview.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sup setup

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my system to 2.1-stable.  I have ftp'ed the entire
"2.1-stable" source tree (src) down.  How do I install it?

>From the handbook:
------------------
Before compiling stable, read the Makefile in /usr/src carefully. You should
at least run a `make world' the first time through as part of the upgrading
process. Reading freebsd-stable will keep you up-to-date on other
bootstrapping procedures that sometimes become necessary as we move towards
the next release.

>From this, I assume the following:

        1) rename /usr/src to /usr/src.old
        2) unpack the src tree to /usr/src

        The stable sources are now in place...

        3) cd /usr/src
        4) make world ; make all ; make install ; make clean

        5) reboot, and pray to whatever deity that consoles
           me that my system will come back up

Thanks,

John Clark
[jrclark@netview.net]