Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:04:04 -0400
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@snet.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Anyone using FreeBSD with Dell Dimension Hardware?

Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a Dell Dimension R333 or R350.  My
company has Dell as a vendor, and I can get a serious discount.
Hopefully somebody out there can verify that FreeBSD is happy with
the hardware used in these machines.  I have posted to the XFree86
newsgroup asking whether or not the STB NVidia AGP video card is
supported, but any comments from FreeBSD fellows on this issue is
more than welcome.

One option I'm considering is a 2x DVD IDE CDROM.  Have these drives
been successfully used with FreeBSD (only mounting CDFS of course)?
If so, how do they perform with data transfers?  Comparable to
IDE 32x drives?

The PC also comes default with Turtle Beach Montego 64 sound cards.
Any word on them with FreeBSD?

Finally, the modem included is called a "WinModem 33.6/56K modem".
I have my doubts and might upgrade that to a US Robotics x2 unless
anybody out there can verify good performance with this WinModem
stuff.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.  It's currently Tuesday, 6/16/98,
and I am looking to perhaps make a commitment by the end of the week.

Regards,

JM
--
Jeffrey M. Metcalf