Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:07:33 -0500
From:      "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Make buildworld failure

At 7:00 AM this morning, I began to re-install 4.8-RELEASE.
Installed as usual, removed unnecessary drivers, FTP from default site,
installed cvsup-without-gui and portupgrade from packages.

After installation finished, I configured my /etc/cvsupfile and cvsup'ed
src-all, ports, and docs.

I copied /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf and uncommented the
following lines:
CFLAGS=3D -O -pipe
NOPROFILE=3D true
USA_RESIDENT=3D yes

cd /usr/src
make buildworld (drat, I should have done make -j4 buildworld!)

After that finished, I copied my saved CUSTOM kernel config to
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf

make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DCUSTOM
make installkernel KERNCONF=3DCUSTOM
make installworld
Cp -Rr /etc /etc.old
/usr/sbin/mergemaster -v -w 132 (132 is not correct, screen width is 80)
Cd /dev
./MAKEDEV all
Cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
Make clean
Make install
Reboot!

At 1:30 PM....
Yea.....!!!  FreeBSD 4.8-p3=20
No errors at all during compile, system seems to work properly!

Now fiddling with portupgrade.

Thanks again to all who responded so unselfishly!

Thanks,
Charles