Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:15:08 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD make vs. GNU make

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This might be a dumb question, but would like get a clear idea about
>the differences between BSD make and GNU make. Why do I have to do
>'gmake' in some cases instead of just plain 'make'?
>
>What's the differences?

The gmake program has many extensions which tend to be used in
the gnu automake, autoconf, libtools system.

I suspect that gmake will work with most non-gnu Makefiles, but
the reverse is not true.

There's a pretty good book, ``GNU Autoconf, Automake, and
Libtool'' by Vaughan, Elliston, Tomey, and Taylor.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The only logical reason to take guns away from responsible people is to
give irresponsible people an edge in the perpetration of their crimes
against us. -- The Idaho Observer, Vol. 1, No. 2 February 1997