Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 10:12:10 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jerry@kcis.com
Subject:   Disk setup and maintenance tools

OK people.

I have just setup NetBSD here at work on about 10 systems...
All 486DX4-100 with completely different disks in them all. I got very
tired of installing from scratch for every machine.

I thought, if there were a way that I could plug the new disk into an
existing system, do all the required things ie:fdisk, disklabel, makefs,
and just perform a 'dump | restore' from the master to the other disks
making the install take alot less time, I would be a very happy camper.

I looked at the install scripts that are used, they are standard shell
scripts. After about 15 minutes, I had made a modified copy to 'add disks'
to an existing system. The end result was a shell script, although quick and
dirty, that would allow me to plug another disk into an existing system and
perform all the required steps to make it usably by NetBSD.

T H E     G O O D    N E W S ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I now have most of it working using the 'dialog' utility on FreeBSD 2.1R.
It presents a nice user interface, does all the required work of adding
a new disk to the system. All the user is left to do is add the info to
/etc/fstab if they want to. I may put this in the package to make it MORE
user friendly....

I should be done early next week. At that point I will put it on
'ftp.freebsd.org' in the FreeBSD/incoming area.

The big question. I will need some beta testers for this... Need I ask ??

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178