Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:40:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        charlespeters@chickenbean.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail being returned to senders (My ISP is not relaying some of my mail from certain domains)

> I am having a problem with email being returned to
> senders, but I am unable to assure myself that it is
> my server (chickenbean.com and alias tecpro.com) or my
> IPS's server (ais.ais-gwd.com).  The mail being
> returned is from certain domains, such as sprint.ca,
> clemson.edu, aol.com, gte.com, etc.

>    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
> errors -----
> <charlespeters@tecpro.com>

> ... while talking to ais.ais-gwd.com.:
> <<< 550 <charlespeters@tecpro.com>... Relaying denied
> 550 <charlespeters@tecpro.com>... User unknown

It's pretty clear that the error is originating at the host which
identifies itself as 'ais.ais-gwd.com'.  It's pretty clear that
it's denying the relay to tecpro.com.  My guess would be that
your ISP has your chickenbean.com domain listed as one of its
clients; but not tecpro.com.  They are apparently configured to
only relay to/from client domains - if they don't recognize
tecpro.com as belonging to a client, they won't relay for it.

> The original message was received at Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
> from phoenix.volant.org [205.179.79.193]

> <charlespeters@tecpro.com>

> 554 MX list for tecpro.com. points back to ais.ais-gwd.com
> 554 <charlespeters@tecpro.com>... Local configuration error

This points to the root of the problem - they don't know where
to send the tecpro.com mail.  You need to talk to their sysadmins
to find out exactly what the best fix is.  They may need to point
the MX record for tecpro.com to chickenbean.com.  (And you would
need to ensure that your MTA properly handles mail for both domains.)

-Pat