Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2011 01:07:26 -0400
From:      Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
To:        Andrey Zonov <andrey@zonov.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: igb(4) won't start with "igb0: Could not setup receive structures"

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Andrey Zonov <andrey@zonov.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New igb driver (and I think em too) is required too much 9k mbufs when it's
> been configured with mtu = 9000. On machine with 8 CPUs, driver is required
> 8192 9k mbufs, but by default there is only 6400 and network won't start. In
> previous versions for big mtu it was used 4k mbufs, by default there is
> 12800 and all worked fine.
>
> Maybe it's time to think about increasing default
> kern.maxusers/kern.ipc.nmbclusters? or use mp_ncpus for calculation these
> values? or just increase amount of
> mbuf_cluster/mbuf_jumbo_page/mbuf_jumbo_9k from that driver...

... or maintain internal changes to the driver to make it not that
memory hungry/behave well under memory pressure, no matter what Jack
say, especially on system where memory _is_ a constraint. I guess it
will be the only solution to use em(4) in the Real World (ie. not some
cozy Intel test lab).

 - Arnaud

[0]: OOTH, I subscribed a few months ago :)