Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 02:43:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Handbook Stuff

Hello,

My lawyer brought this too me so....

Question: Who holds the primary copyright on the Handbook???  It is not
listed anywhere I can find:(

We also have 3 files in the handbook (scsi, printing and esdi) that have just
a "Copyright 199X so and so" and no mention of a license.

This causes problems for the simple fact that I've had to make some fairly
major mods to the entire handbook so as to get a consistent look to it.

Here is what has been done.
o	Make each document a compleate document by itself (e.g printing.sgml
	was this way to begin with)
o	Proof read each doc, make corrections where needed. (These will go
	back to the project when I have time)
o	Split the contrib section into 3 areas.
	(Core, Developer(listed commiter), Contributor)
o	I may have to re-write the SCSI section (or just leave it out)
	due to the fact that the author inserted copyright statements
	within the document itself.  I have no problems listing an
	author at the beginging of the book, but this would not be
	consistent with the rest of the document.
	Printing is not a big problem if I have Seans' permission to
	print it.

Here is a proposal:

1. All generic documents (meaning all docs produced by doc team) be copyright
FreeBSD Project, Inc.
2. Require all other documents be under a BSD style.
3. List the license in each file as a comment.

Note: This is just for the handbook.  Not other documents.  There might be a
place and time where a large printer may want to pick this up...:)

Gary

Another NOTE:  We may want to think about doing this for the sources also.
There are many files within the tree that say this coded was contributed
to UCB and name the author.   Make the copyright FreeBSD Project, Inc.
and give a credit within the license to the person who developed it.

Gary Clark II (N5VMF)
gclarkii@FreeBSD.ORG