Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:26:25 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Common Question

At 16:09 19-02-1999 +0300, root@isis.dynip.com wrote:
>I am hearing tooooo much now about linux.

You're hearing about it because it is getting quite popular, especially
among young people who tend to be more vociferous than those of us born
earlier. There is nothing wrong with their talking about it.

What surprised me more is that ZD Net is pushing Linux as an alternative to
Windows, but they never talk about FreeBSD. Having seen one of the replies
to your message suddenly made it clear as to why that is. ZD Net is run by
the publishers of PC Magazine which has been known to give high ratings to
their adertisers. Perhaps Red Hat advertises in PC Magazine?

>I'm sick of it, now I hear that IBM is making some deal with Linux
>people for installing Linux on their new machines, I am very very sad,
>and very very gelous.

IBM is the company that taught Bill Gates his methods (which no doubt they
have regretted many times over). If IBM is making deals with Linux, that
means IBM expects to make money in the process. If they expected to make
money with FreeBSD, they would be "making deals" with FreeBSD. It has
nothing to do with technology. Nor does it imply that IBM thinks Linux is
better than FreeBSD (even if they did, who cares?).

>I wan to know why every time I go to a web page on the net to hunt for
>extra-portal (like extra-terresterial) software, I find the following
>Menu:
>
>	Windows 95/98
>	Windows NT
>	OS2
>	Machintosh
>	Linux

Since most computers run Windows 95/98, most software is written for it.
Part of it is economic reasons - you make more money catering to more
people, part is that probably most programmers, too, have Windows 95/98
installed on their systems and simply know how to program for it.

By the same token, more Unix programmers probably have Linux installed than
FreeBSD, so they write software for what they have and are familiar with.

If, for example, you visited my web site (or my ftp site), you would find
that any Unix software available for downloads comes with full source code
and precompiled binaries for FreeBSD. That's because I have FreeBSD, so
naturally I compile the software on and for FreeBSD.

That said, I suspect that most downloads of my Graphic Counter Language (my
most downloaded software) comes from Linux users, simply because there are
more of them. Does that bother me? Heck no! I just hope it compiles and
links on their systems as well as it did on mine (it probably does because
I have yet to receive email from someone saying it does not).

Why do I suspect that? Because having mentioned it on FreeBSDRocks brought
in a couple of visitors. Then I listed it on FreshMeat.net, a Linux
software directory. The number of visitors quadrupled instantly. Yet, none
of them complains than I only provide precompiled binaries for FreeBSD, and
talk about FreeBSD on my web site, never even mentioning that Linux exists.

Of course, unlike IBM, I am not expecting to make any financial profits
from my software, so I chose my platform based on technological criteria,
not economic ones. But guess what: I never heard of FreeBSD until I started
my web site. My web host (pair Networks) uses FreeBSD to run their servers
on, and, of course, they inform their customers about it. Had I chosen some
other web hosting provider, I might still not even know that there is such
a thing as FreeBSD. In that case I might have developed Graphic Counter
Language to work under Windows, for all I know. Our choices are always
limited by our knowledge. Microsoft makes sure the whole world knows about
Windows. Linux users seem to have evangelization down to a science.

It can work against them - I took a look at Linux about a year ago, and was
turned off by a HOWTO that essentially said I'd have to treat "Mr.
Tornvald" - or whatever his name is - as some kind of a deity.
Proselytizing happens to be against my religion, so I tend to turn away
from anything that is being proselytized, be it ActiveX or Linux. On the
other hand, it seems to be working on many others: You can see ActiveX
products advertized all over programmers' magazines despite it being
extremely bad technology. And you see lots of people getting excited about
Linux (despite it NOT being bad technology <g>). Clearly, technology has
little to do with what gets people excited.

Am I jealous? Absolutely not. I make my choices, and see no reason why I
should not let others make theirs.

Last but not least, it may all boil down to what people can afford. There
are a number of fairly inexpensive books on Linux. As far as I know there
is only one book about FreeBSD, and I have heard nothing but praise about
it. Unfortunately, someone with my income simply cannot afford to buy it. I
deal with it by asking questions where I can, and probably by not running
the system to its full potential, but others may feel more comfortable just
to stick with Linux (actually, come to think of it, I could probably get
more out of Linux using all of its abilities than I am getting out of
FreeBSD using just some of its capabilities, but I believe that in the long
run I am better off with FreeBSD).

I suppose what I am trying to say is that different strokes for different
folks. Hey, more people drive a Chevy than a Cadillac, but I am sure that
Cadillac users feel no jealousy. :-) (I drive a Chevy, by the way.)

Adam
---
Got a FreeBSD web site?
Get GCL from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/