Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:40:56 -0500
From:      "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
To:        "'ticso@cicely.de'" <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        'Steven' <steven@trance.org>, 'Eduardo Damato' <damato@unesp.br>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Hard Disk not found

I haven't forgotten about you.

I have the "official" digital documentation sitting at home that describes
in great detail as to what each of those numbers means. I will reference
that and see what it exactly means and get back to you.

I don't want to lead you down the wrong path, but here is my initial guess:

Your device pka0.7.1001.0 is a SCSI card on the first bus, SCSI ID 7. You
may have to play around with it, but if you 'sho pka*' SRM will sho your
settings of that SCSI card on your system. From there, you can modify the
host id, the SCSI mode, and you can enable/disable soft-termination.

The same holds true with network cards. I know here, my network guys force
all servers to 100/Full. If I 'sho ewa*' I get a ton of options to set on
the network card, I just play with the duplexing settings rather then play
around with ifconfig. BSD takes what the SRM gives it as far as network card
settings.

About the password, 'ls' on your SRM, are there any commands in there
similar to 'clear_nvram' or 'clear_srm_rom' or 'clear_arc'? I seem to
remember seeing that on a Alpha box that I was playing around with.

Here is what I can remember off the top of my head about SRM devices:

	dkaX - SCSI disk devices on the first bus, other disks on secondary
busses are 		 dkbX, dkcX, dkdX, etc.
	dqaX - IDE device on the first bus, other busses are dqbX, dqcX,
etc.
	dvaX - Floppy
	ewaX - NIC, other NICs are ewbX, ewcX, etc.
	pkaX - SCSI card on the first SCSI bus. Other busses are pkbX, pkcX,
etc.
	pqaX - First IDE controller, other controllers are pqbX, pqcX, etc.
	mkaX - Tape drive

Good luck.

HTH,

AJ Schroeder