Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:24:51 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Shakul M Hameed <smohideen@mx2.labs.rootshell.ws>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup 7.0 STABLE checkout failure

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 02:20:52AM +0530, Shakul M Hameed wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 07:47:11AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > Are you sure?  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/cvsup.html -- see
> > the first "Note:" paragraph.
>
>  As a newbie to FreeBSD, I would rather like to have a single Code Versioning system.
>  Several methods put newbies in dilemma to decide upon the best suitable procedure.
>  I feel there should be one unique source code management system.

csup and cvsup function the same, and they both rely on the same source
versioning system.  However, cvsup requires Modula3/ezm3 (an external
dependency), while csup was written entirely in C and comes with the
FreeBSD base system.

Does this explain the difference?

Thus: pkg_delete cvsup and ezm3 (if installed) from your system, and
start using csup.  :-)

> > I don't see how that would fix or change anything.  In fact, I'm fairly
> > certain it doesn't.
> >
> > The error you are receiving from cvsup is telling you "I tried to rename
> > a file, but couldn't".  This often implies a permissions or ownership
> > thing.  Since the directory you're storing stuff in is on an SMB/CIFS
> > share, I cannot help but wonder if that's the cause of the problem
> > (somehow).
>
>  Jeremy, as pointed by "N.J. Mann"  recently in a reply in this thread, there is a semicolon in the filename

You mean colon, but I understand what you meant.

>  where the rename faliure happened. Because the file
>  "checkouts.cvs:RELENG_7" had ":" in it, which was not created
>  subsequently due to SMB limitation for ":"-based filenames.
>
>  Because this the cvsup checked-out halted at this point. Morever, as
>  indicated by "Sean <sean@gothic.net.au>" the case-insensitiveness
>  would lead to missing files.
>
> I think, I should format my Network drive to NFS to make it really
> UNIX friendly.

NFS is a transport protocol, not a filesystem type.  You don't "format a
disk to be NFS-friendly".  You can use NFS with any type of filesystem;
UFS/FFS, ZFS, ext2fs, ext3fs, NTFS, MS-DOS, etc...

The problem is that you're using an NTFS across smbmount(8).  NTFS does
not support some characters in filenames, and also is case-insensitive.
You are being limited by NTFS, and also possibly by smbmount(8).

What you need is to install another disk in your FreeBSD box, or
allocate space somewhere on the existing filesystem(s) for your
development stuff.

If you really want Windows and FreeBSD to "play well" together, your
best option is to run Samba on the FreeBSD box and use UFS2 filesystems,
then make the Windows machine mount shares from the FreeBSD machine.
The other way around (FreeBSD-->Windows) creates problems like the ones
you've experienced.

Hope this helps.  Cheers!