Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:04:35 -0400
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best X Windows Manager for Newbies

Not that stupid a question on your part, Gerry. A newbie might
not feel confident enough or know enough to ask, and I don't mind
answering.

KDE provides its own windowmanager, which used to be called kwm
in the 1.x series. GNOME never had it's "own" windowmanager; its
designers preferred to have ride another windowmanger piggyback.
The default GNOME windowmanager appears to be Sawfish, but GNOME
can also run on top of Enlightenment, WindowMaker, and IceWM.
I've even seen it run on top of TWM, and I hope never to see it
again.

The main selling points of GNOME and KDE are the common
interfaces of programs associated with their respective
environments. Since all GNOME programs use the GTK+ libs, they
all have a common look. This goes for all KDE apps since they all
use the Qt libs. KDE programs can run in GNOME, and vice versa.

GNOME and KDE are desktop environments. Each tries to do more
than straight window management; each tries to abstract Unix from
the user. We could start a holy war over whether this is good or
bad. I'll settle for saying that I prefer to avoid abstraction
whenever possible. If I didn't want to get under the hood, I'd
have stuck with Windows and never even touched DOS.
******
Matthew Graybosch [matthew@starbreaker.net]
http://www.starbreaker.net :: where dreams and reality collide
"Screw Sartre. Hell isn't other people. Hell is debugging other
people's code."