Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 22:53:19 CDT
From:      "Steve Dispensa" <dispensa@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   libpcap, BPF, and 100% CPU

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but...

I'm working on a packet-capture program for some protocol analysis of a
proprietary UDP-based protocol.  I'm using libpcap on FreeBSD 4.0-release.
It's thread-based, with a thread for capturing and a thread for reporting.
I'm compiling it with 'cc -pthread -lpcap -g -o sniff sniff.c' - which
should link it against the right libraries for thread support.

The problem is that it nails the processor at 100% (I've tested the same bpf
program with tcpdump, and it idles at 0%).  Then, after some time (1-3
minutes), the box either reboots (!) or the program just dumps core.
Occasionally I get "segmentation fault"; other times I get "bus error".

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here - I've run pcap programs
before on other platforms without 100% CPU usage - but the box rebooting
itself sounds like a bad (hardware) sign.

Any ideas?

--Steve