Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:00:48 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 breakage: GUS, spash screen, CD writing

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 10:50:37PM -0700, Jeff Wyman wrote:
> I can report the same problems with splash screens. I was previously using
> a 320x200 BMP splash file with 4.1-STABLE (August 4th). After building
> 4.1.1-RELEASE, I noticed that my splash no longer worked. I had heard of
> this in the stable list, so I just shrugged. If people are so worried,
> here's some data that I haven't yet seen stated:
>
> With a boot -v, I can see that the kernel presents some idea of what it
> thinks is going on with the splash display. Output from dmesg:
>
> --
> splash: image@0xc0304178, size:64966
> splash_bmp: beyond screen capacity (320x200, 228 colors)
> bmp_start(): splash_mode:28
> splash: image decoder found: splash_bmp
> --

I have 'option VESA' in the kernel, and the standard setup in
/boot/loader.conf
(from man loader)

Was tracking stable until the ata0 bus (pr20924) knocked out my CDROM drive.
With VESA it'll handle any resolution up to 1024x768 , 256 colour.

But my supfile is hardcoded to not update past the 21st of August
because of the ata bug.

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns