Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:29:11 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        ralf@acadiacom.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: procmail

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 02:10:33AM -0600, Ralf Black wrote:
> Can you explain this in English for a Netscape user?

What are you doing using Netscape for mail? Oh, I see, your operating system
made you do it. Shame on you :-)

To handle mail properly you need a proper mail program (not a web browser on
steroids). If you don't use one, you just can't do it properly. If you are
stuck in windoze then don't use anything for mail except Pegasus Mail for
Windows. It is the only one I know of that lets you send out proper mail
that doesn't upset people and sorts it when it comes in. Unlike Eudora,
Pegasus is free.

Equal to that task under FreeBSD is mutt. It's not quite as automated as
Pegasus, but because we're working with unix there's a lot more that can be
done with it. It works similar to pine and elm but has more features, so if
you're familiar with one of them it's pretty easy to change over.

When you set up your .muttrc there's a place to list your mailing lists, or
rather, the name before the @ sign like "freebsd-newbies freebsd-questions"
and so on. Then when you look at your new mail, instead of saying the person
it's from it says the name of the mailing list. Give it the tag command (T),
type in what you're looking for, in this case messages To this list (~t
freebsd-newbies), and they're tagged. Then there's a command for moving all
the tagged messages to a folder and you tell it what to call the folder and
so on. You'll get the full story from the doccos, but they're a bit hard to
understand so ask me for the gorey details if you go this way.

I don't think I'm using it the best way possible, but I've always been too
ashamed of not knowing much about it to ask anyone. If you do try mutt and
find a better way, do let me know :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-