Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:20:21 -0500
From:      Stephan Uphoff <ups@stups.com>
To:        Sergei Mozhaisky <technix@ukr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compressed filesystem for FreeBSD

Sergei Mozhaisky wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am searching for compressed filesystem for FreeBSD.
>
> Why do I need compressed filesystem? I am developer of FreeBSD-based
> LiveCD, and the main problem of liveCD is loading speed - it's too
> slow, comparing with Knoppix or other Linux LiveCD.

Currently the f_iosize of a CD filesystem is set using the f_bsize. (normally
2048)
This forces vnode_pager_generic_getpages() to use vnode_pager_input_smlfs().

Replacing the line:
	sbp->f_iosize = sbp->f_bsize;	/* XXX */
in cd9660_vfsops.c with:
	sbp->f_iosize = (sbp->f_bsize > PAGE_SIZE) ? sbp->f_bsize : PAGE_SIZE;

should be possible (Warning not tested!) and should help you with the loading
speed.

	Stephan